ZocdocAnswersDo stretch marks go away?

Question

Do stretch marks go away?

I've been losing a lot of weight lately because of diet and exercise. I'm noticing stretch marks. Do they go away with time or will I have them for the rest of my life?

Answer

First of all, congratulations on starting to exercise and diet. Maintaining a healthy weight is a very important step in staying healthy for the rest of your life, and it will help you avoid medical problems like heart disease and diabetes later in life. Unfortunately, stretch marks after losing weight are sometimes very noticeable. However, many times, they do tend to go away or at least fade away once you reach a more stable weight, although this process may take months or even years. It is also helpful to focus on toning exercises of the muscles in the areas where you have stretch marks, because firm muscles can improve the overall appearance of the skin. Unfortunately, there are no easy and straightforward medical treatments for stretch marks. Some dermatologists do specialize in this area of cosmetic problems of the skin, and they may be able to offer various prescription creams to help improve the appearance of the skin, as well as potentially more extensive treatments such as laser-based methods. Therefore, if you find that the stretch marks are not improving over time, you should start by setting up a consultation with a dermatologist to discuss potential treatment options. Good luck.