ZocdocAnswersWhat is making me sweat so much?

Question

What is making me sweat so much?

Do I have a health problem if I am sweating too much. I won't even feel hot but I will be sweating just sitting there. Sort of like a cold sweat. What's wrong with me?

Answer

Sweating without other problems is usually not a sign of a serious medical condition, but it can be a problem in and of itself. If your sweating were to occur in the presence of feeling hot, flushed, or out of breath (especially in the presence of chest pain), it would be more concerning. It would likewise be possibly more concerning if it was in the setting of night sweats that leave your whole bed soaked and you have been more tired lately and losing weight. For most people with isolated sweating, however, it tends to be more of a nerve and anxiety related problem. Fortunately, there are treatments available no matter what the cause is of your symptoms. The bad news is that you won't be able to be diagnosed or treated without speaking to your doctor in person so that they can ask you more questions and do a physical exam. Regardless of what the cause is (or if you are one of the many people more prone to sweating than you feel comfortable), rest assured that there are many potential therapies available, including things as simple as medications and as complex as surgery. Please speak with your doctor about your complaint.