Find in-network doctors and make an appointment now!

What does it mean if I have H. pylori?

I tested positive for H. pylori. Is it okay to have this in your gut or will it do bad things to me? My doctor did not seem very concerned but I am def a worrier.
Helicobacter pylori is a bacteria that lives in the stomach. Infection with Helicobacter pylori is very common, and many people who are infected are asymptomatic. However, there are several conditions that can be associated with Helicobacter pylori infection. In particular, Helicobacter pylori reduces the stomach's natural defense mechanisms against digestive acids, leading to chronic inflammation of the stomach, called gastritis, and putting you at risk for developing a stomach ulcer. There are two different tests for Helicobacter pylori infection. The first is a blood test, and that is less useful because it only shows that you have been infected in the past but doesn't mean you are currently infected. A fecal sample test, on the other hand, shows active infection with the bacteria. If you have a positive fecal sample test for Helicobacter pylori, especially if you are having symptoms such as bad heartburn or stomach pain, then you should probably be treated with antibiotics to eliminate the infection. Without eliminating the infection, there is not way to guarantee that your symptoms will improve. I suggest that you talk again with the doctor that performed the testing for you, and discuss the option of treatment to eliminate the infection. Good luck!

Nearby Gastroenterologists

• Dr. Evin McCabe
    Dr. Evin McCabe MD
    Gastroenterologist
    305 2nd Avenue
    New York, NY 10003
  • Dr. Seth Cohen
    Dr. Seth Cohen MD
    Gastroenterologist
    305 2nd Avenue
    New York, NY 10003
  • Dr. Michael Eng
    Dr. Michael Eng MD
    Gastroenterologist
    115 East 23rd Street
    New York, NY 10010

Other Gastroenterologists