ZocdocAnswersWhy is my throat dry only on one side?

Question

Why is my throat dry only on one side?

I have a dry throat. Problem is it is only on one side, the left side. Why would my throat be dry and why would it only be dry on one side?

Answer

Dry throat is a common sensation, one that is often related to a range of medical problems that cause irritation or swelling in the back of the throat. Occasionally, for what ever reason, this irritation may affect one side of the throat more than the other (for example, one tonsil may be more swollen than the other). I would suggest that you see your primary care doctor, who will be able to examine your throat and help figure out what is going on. One of the most common causes of the sensation of dry or irritated throat is sinus congestion or nasal allergies. This is because these lead to the dripping of mucus down the back of the throat, which causes a persistent irritated sensation. Similarly, bad acid reflux, or heartburn, may cause dry throat because the acid escaping from the stomach washes up the esophagus into the mouth, irritating the tissues in the back of the throat. Finally, infection of the tonsils, caused either by bacteria or by one of several common viruses, can lead to swelling of the tonsils, which may give a dry throat sensations. Make an appointment with your doctor at your earliest convenience to figure out which of these possible causes might be going on in your case.