Why is there a soft spot on my head?

19 years old and I found a soft spot on my head in the back. It is kind of squishy. Haven't noticed this before. Why would I have a soft spot on my head when I am an adult?
As you indicate, the so-called 'soft spot' on the head is more typically associated with newborn infants and not adults! In your case, we can say with certainty that whatever you are feeling is not the result of your skull bones having yet to fuse (what gives babies that soft spot). This can happen very rarely in infants, but it would most definitely have been identified by your pediatrician. In your case, the "squishy" area you are noting may well be the result of a skin lesion or a growth in the soft-tissue underneath the skin that is causing the soft area you are feeling. There are many different things that can cause this, and the most important thing to do at this point is see your primary care doctor as soon as possible. The first step is to have a physician examine your head take a look at what is actually there. He or she will want to go over your prior health history too, but determining what to do next depends on what your doctor sees (or doesn't see). You may need some additional imaging studies, possibly a biopsy if there is a skin lesion, or a possible referral to a specialist. You should definitely make sure to be seen right away to make sure that this is handled appropriately, and of course if you develop any concerning symptoms including vision loss, severe headaches, or other neurological signs, you should seek immediate medical attention at an emergency department.

• Dr. Angela Hon
    Dr. Angela Hon MD
    88-20 Rockaway Beach Blvd
    Rockaway Beach, NY 11693
  • Dr. Syed Mujeeb
    Dr. Syed Mujeeb MD
    411 W. Parker Rd
    Houston, TX 77091
  • Dr. Andrew Kirschner
    Dr. Andrew Kirschner DO
    1 Belmont Avenue
    Bala Cynwyd, PA 19004