ZocdocAnswersWhat will happen after my knee surgery?

Question

What will happen after my knee surgery?

I tore a ligament in my knee and now I have to have it operated on to fix it. What will happen to my knee after the surgery? Will it be weaker than the other one from now on? What do I do after the surgery?

Answer

I am sorry to hear that you had such a serious knee injury! Fortunately, though, it sounds like you have been already hooked up with a good orthopedic surgeon, and there is a plan in place for a surgical repair, which will hopefully reduce pain and improve the functioning of your knee. I cannot comment specifically on what you can expect for your knee after surgery, because this depends entirely on what part of the knee you damaged (which ligament was torn) and how complicated the surgery will be. Therefore, I would recommend that you take advantage of a pre-surgical visit with the orthopedic surgeon planning to do the operation to sit down and have your questions about the surgery and your recovery after the surgery in detail. Your surgeon will be able to explain the planned surgical procedure to you in detail. They will also be able to explain any rest needs, physical therapy needs, or other recovery procedures that will be in place after the surgery. They can also give you some estimate of what your pain, mobility, and overall prognosis for a return to full physical activity after you have completely recovered from the surgery. Good luck!