ZocdocAnswersWhy is my face flushed all of the time?

Question

Why is my face flushed all of the time?

I am a 20 year old female and have flushed face. My cheeks are red all of the time. What is this?? Is there a way to get my cheeks back to their normal color?

Answer

If your cheeks are 'red all of the time' then this is probably not flushing. Flushing is a phenomenon in which the blood flow to the skin periodically increases, causes a temporary reddish color and warmth in the affected part of the body. If, on the other hand, the red color in your cheeks is present permanently, then it is likely something else that is going on. I would suggest that you make an appointment with your primary care doctor or your dermatologist to discuss the issue. One possibility is that you have eczema, which is a condition in which the skin becomes irritated and dry, leading to redness and itching. Eczema can be treated by avoiding harsh soaps and other drying agents, applying a good facial moisturizing cream, and, with the guidance of your doctor, carefully applying a steroid cream to the more stubborn spots. Another possibility is rosacea, which is a a chronic skin condition characterized by redness of the face, especially the nose and cheeks. It looks quite different from eczema, however, and the treatments are different. In fact, steroid creams that are use for eczema may sometimes make rosacea worse. Start by setting up a visit with your doctor as soon as you can.