ZocdocAnswersWhy are my legs so dry?

Question

Why are my legs so dry?

I'm a 25 year old girl and my legs are constantly dry. I feel like I can't even shave because they are so irritated and it hurts. What can I do about my dry skin? Why is only on my legs and not on the rest of my body?

Answer

Dry skin is very common and can occur at any age. Dry skin occurs more frequently on arms, sides of the abdomen, and the lower legs. Dry skin can cause symptoms ranging from mild (feeling of tightness and flakiness) to more severe (redness, fine lines or cracks in the skin, and intense itching). Dry skin can be caused by or exacerbated by the environment but can also be a sign of an underlying medical disorder so it is important to see your primary care doctor or dermatologist to have your skin examined. Dry skin is made worse by low humidity from forced air heat or air conditioning or from a dry climate such as a desert. Some medical conditions that are associated with dry skin include psoriasis, eczema, and thyroid disorders. Again, please see your doctor. In the meantime, there are some things you can try at home to help your symptoms. The first is to limit the time you spend in the shower or the bath and to only use lukewarm, never hot, water. After bathing, pat dry with a soft towel (don't rub dry) and then immediately apply a high-quality moisturizer such as Eucerin liberally to your legs and body.