ZocdocAnswersWhy is my body odor so bad?

Question

Why is my body odor so bad?

No matter how clean I am or how much deodorant I use I still have body odor. It is noticeable and embarrassing too. Any way to make my bad body odor go away?

Answer

I am sorry to hear that you are dealing with persistent body odor. This can be a very embarrassing, problem, but help is available. I recommend that you start by talking with either your primary care doctor or your dermatologist, both of whom will help you figure out what to do. Although body odor can sometimes be related to eating certain spicy foods or certain chronic medical conditions (like liver disease), in almost all cases it is simply related to excessive sweating. Sweat is digested by bacteria living on the surface of the skin, and some of the by products of the bacteria digestion give off a bad odor. Therefore, reducing sweat and reducing the amount of bacteria living on the skin can reduce body odor. To reduce bacteria, many doctors will recommend that you wash regularly with a good anti bacterial soap. In addition, you can wear cool, wicking clothing to prevent moisture, which promotes bacterial growth. To reduce sweating, it is important to use a strong antiperspirant deodorant containing aluminum chloride. If these methods do not work, then your doctors may suggest more aggressive methods, such as prescription strength aluminum chloride to dry up your sweat glands significantly.