Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"What is this popping feeling under my skin?"

ZocdocAnswersWhat is this popping feeling under my skin?


Sometimes when I move in a certain way or even if I cough or laugh, I feel a popping thing under my right breast. Is there some kind of nerve that is damaged there? Could it be a muscle spasm?


I would suggest that you go see your primary care doctor about this complaint, especially since it seems to have been going on for some time. They will be able to perform a good physical exam and help your figure out what might be going on. I think that your instinct that this is related to a muscle spasm is probably on the right track. The muscles between ribs, called the intercostal muscles, can easily become strained from heavy lifting or even just 'sleeping funny.' This can lead to spasm and pain or discomfort, especially with deep breathing, coughing, or laughing. Similarly, the cartilage where the ribs and the sternum (breastbone) connect together can sometimes become inflamed. This is called costochondritis and it can cause similar symptoms. If your doctor diagnoses you with either of these conditions, they will like prescribe rest and anti inflammatory medications to help take away the discomfort. With any pain in the chest, it is important to make sure the pain is not caused by a more serious problem. For these reasons, make sure to mention to your doctor if you experience any shortness of breath, cough, deep chest pain, dizziness, or trouble with exercise.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.