ZocdocAnswersIs this ring worm?

Question

Is this ring worm?

i go to work and school everyday.recently my foot has been smelling awful.i was my feet everyday but they still stink.yesterday at work it felt like a rock was in my shoe. a really sharp rock.i got home and it was my skin.it looked like it was bubbleing on my feet.my mom said it was athletes foot.so i looked up some pictures and read about it.its not itching but it is burning it herts so bad when i walk on it

Answer

I would go see your primary care doctor about this. They will be able to take a look at your feet and help figure out right away what is going on and suggest the appropriate treatment. It is possible that this is athlete's foot, which is a fungal infection of the skin of the feet. Athlete's foot is extremely common, and it typically causes either an itching or burning sensation in the affected skin. There is usually also a strong odor, such as the one you describe, and there may be cracking or peeling of the skin. Fortunately, once the condition is formally diagnosed by your primary care doctor, it is very easy to treat with topical anti fungal creams. The other distinct possibility is that this is a form of eczema which occurs on the bottoms of the feet known as dyshidrotic eczema. This form of eczema, which is typically brought out by high stress levels or changes in the weather, causes painful or itching redness and blistering and peeling of the skin on the bottoms of the feet. It is treated by good skin moisturizing and the use of a strong topical steroid cream. Go see your doctor as soon as possible!