Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Are these UTI symptoms?"

ZocdocAnswersAre these UTI symptoms?


Okay for starters I am a 19 year old male. about 7 or 8 days ago i started getting a weird feeling in my penis while urinating; it didnt burn, and was very light, not that noticable, but with each day its gotten more irritating. I noticed the day before my irritation started i was drinking ALOT of soda, in one day i had 2 liters of cactus cooler to my self, and the next day a liter of grape soda. and recently this past week i havent been drinking alot of water, maybe like 1 or 2 cups within a 2 day span. Im worried it may be an STD, or something bad. I have no other pains, or any other symptoms tho, nothing. just while i pee it feels weird, doesnt really even hurt, and after my urethra itches slightly, not every time tho. I started drinking alot of water the past 2 days and it felt WAY better, so i thought id have a soda, but now since i drank a soda its back to how it was. What should I do? and if it helps the last time i was sexually active was two months ago.


You should definitely get in to see your primary care doctor about this as soon as possible, because some of the symptoms you have are consistent with a sexually transmitted infection. These infections cause inflammation and irritation of the urethra, and symptoms generally include burning with urination or discharge from the penis. However, some mild cases may have more minimal symptoms. Your doctor will be able to perform some simple laboratory tests to rule out the possibility of a sexually transmitted infection. On the other hand, if it turns out you are infection, the are excellent medications that are used to treat the infections. While waiting for the results of the test, you should refrain from sexual activity to avoid potentially passing on an infection. When you see your doctor, in addition to ruling out sexually transmitted infections, they will also be able to consider other possible causes of your symptoms. It is rather unlikely that you have a urine infection, because these are uncommon in men your age; however your doctor will likely check for this when they check for sexually transmitted infections. Also, dehydration can sometimes cause urethral irritation, because it concentrates the urine and can lead to a burning sensation with urination. Go see your doctor today!

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.