ZocdocAnswersWhy have I had my period for 20 days now?

Question

Why have I had my period for 20 days now?

Three months of bleeding after my sons birth in June 2010, that was after I took the depo. No period until two weeks ago and still bleeding. Just stopped breastfeeding son last month. The .menstrual is dark red and the flow is sometime crazy no stopping in between its everyday I am bleeding I cant leave the house without a pad on. Always has had normal periods 7 days, and 28 day cycles

Answer

Having a period lasting more than 7 days is not considered within the normal range. The typical length for menstruation is 3-5 days of the 28-day menstrual cycle. Your excessive bleeding is a medical condition called menorrhagia. There are numerous causes of menorrhagia, and it is not possible to pinpoint a specific cause of your menorrhagia without an in-person evaluation. It could be an imbalance between estrogen and progesterone. In a normal menstrual cycle, there is a balance between estrogen and progesterone, the two hormones in your body that regulate the buildup of the endometrium (uterine lining of blood and tissue), which is shed each month during menstruation. When there is an imbalance in these hormones, the endometrium keeps building up. Depo Provera can cause such imbalance. However, a recurrent menorrhagia can be a serious medical condition. Several medical conditions include, but not limited to, a blood clotting disorder, endometriosis, uterine fibroids or polyps, pelvic inflammatory disease, polycystic ovary syndrome, thyroid and pituitary disorders, endometrial hyperplasia, endometrial carcinoma, and dysfuncional uterine bleeding (or a heavy bleeding with unkown reason). I would recommend a visit with a primary care physician or OBGYN soon not only to determine the underlying cause of your menorrhagia but also to get it under control because losing a lot of blood during the menstrual period can cause other medical problems like anemia.