ZocdocAnswersAre my kidneys abnormal?

Question

Are my kidneys abnormal?

I've been having to get up during the night to go to the bathroom and also have some sharp pains where I'm pretty sure the kidneys are located. Are my kidneys abnormal? What's going on?

Answer

These symptoms definitely sound like something that you need to get checked out by your primary care doctor. I recommend that you make an appointment as soon as you can. The combination of having to urinate frequently at night combined with pain in the lower back could together be a sign of a urine infection. Having to urinate frequently is the most common symptom of a urine infection, together with other symptoms like pain or cramping with urination or blood in the urine. Also, if a urine infection is severe, it may start to climb up towards the kidneys which can give pain in the lower back; at the point of having back pain, most people will also have fever and nausea. Your doctor will be able to perform some simple tests, such as a urine analysis, to see if there is any evidence of a urine infection. If so, these are usually treated with a course of antibiotic medications, which your doctor will also be able to prescribe for you. If there is no evidence of a urine infection, your doctor will also look for other potential causes of your symptoms. For example, diabetes can also cause frequent urination and is something that your doctor will probably look for.