ZocdocAnswersWhy does my entire body itch?

Question

Why does my entire body itch?

I have an itchy feeling that goes all the way throughout my body. What is going on? I've never had any kind of a problem with dry skin. Could that be what this is?

Answer

I highly suggest that you get in to see your primary care doctor about this issue. They will be able to give you a thorough check up and help figure out what is going on. First of all, it will be important to check out your skin closely, looking for evidence of dryness, rash, flaking, cracking, or other signs. This is because the most common causes of itching are related to various skin problems, such as eczema, allergic reactions, bug bites, and the like. If a skin-related cause of your itching is found, your doctor will be able to prescribe a treatment, most likely a topical cream or ointment. If on the other hand your doctor doesn't find any evidence of a skin-related cause of your itching, they will probably want next to perform some basic bloodwork, as there are several medical problems, such as kidney or liver problems or certain vitamin and nutrient deficiencies, that can be associated with whole-body itching. Based on what these blood tests turn up, your doctor will make further recommendations about additional testing or treatment if those are necessary. Make an appointment to see your doctor as soon as possible!