ZocdocAnswersDo I have poor blood circulation?

Question

Do I have poor blood circulation?

I woke up today and the center of my chest hurt. It went away and I went back to sleep. When I woke up again I had numbness in some of my body parts. Is something wrong with my blood circulation? Do I have poor circulation?

Answer

I would recommend that you see your primary care doctor. Your symptoms could be nothing, but could also represent serious issues with your blood's circulation. Your primary care physician can further discuss your symptoms, learn about your risk factors (like age, gender, weight, lifestyle habits) and potentially run some tests that can better answer your question regarding if you have poor circulation. There are two aspects of your story that would suggest you should see your doctor. The first is the chest discomfort or pain. A cause of chest pain is when the circulation is poor to the heart and therefore the heart does not get enough blood. This is known as angina and means that you are at high risk for a heart attack. Overall, your sensation (if it occurred while sleeping) is unlikely to be angina -- this sounds more like reflux or GERD -- but this should be evaluated. The numbness is also concerning. If the circulation to the brain is poor -- this means you are at risk for having strokes. Some symptoms of strokes are numbness or weakness in a limb. In addition, difficulty seeing, facial weakness and difficulty speaking can be seen in a stroke. Please see your doctor have these important considerations ruled out. Good luck!