ZocdocAnswersWill lipactin help with my cold sores?

Question

Will lipactin help with my cold sores?

I have cold sores from time to time and my doctor recommended taking lipactin but I hate taking medication if I don't have to. Will it really work? How does it work anyway?

Answer

I am sorry to hear that you are suffering from cold sores. As your doctor may have told you, cold sores are caused by an infection with the herpes virus. Unfortunately, once you are infected once with the herpes virus, it stays in your body indefinitely. Cold sores are therefore essentially herpes 'flares' that tend to occur when you are stress out or fatigued. Although there is no definite cure for cold sores or for the herpes virus that causes it, there are several medications that can be used to help decrease the pain from the cold sores and help them heal up. Lipactin is a topical medication that is not unlike a fancy chapstick. It contains several ingredients that help to sooth the cold sore and clear it up. Lipactin has been shown to decrease pain effectively and also to reduce the length of time that the cold sore persists. It is a safe medication and it has very few side effects. There are also several oral anti viral medications that are commonly used to treat herpes infections and, if you are having frequent cold sores, this might be another option to explore. Talk to your primary care doctor again about this issue, and they will answer all your questions and concerns about starting a medication.