ZocdocAnswersDoes being anemic make your eyes red?

Question

Does being anemic make your eyes red?

My eyes are kind of red and bloodshot and I think it is because I am anemic. How do I tell if I am anemic? Does it make your eyes red or am I crazy?

Answer

Anemia, or low levels of oxygen-carrying hemoglobin in the blood, actually has the tendency to make parts of your body more pale, not more red. Therefore, it is highly unlikely that your red and bloodshot eyes have anything to do with underlying anemia. However, you should still go see your primary care doctor or eye doctor about your symptoms, as there are several medical conditions that can cause red or bloodshot eyes, and these are generally easy to treat. For example at the top of the list would be allergic conjunctivitis, or eye allergies. In addition to eye redness, there is often itching or watering of the eyes. Allergic conjunctivitis can be treated by identifying and avoiding the provoking allergen, and also by taking either anti allergy eye drops or oral anti histamine medications as directed by your doctor. Red eyes might also be a sign of infectious conjunctivitis, or an eye infection. In adults these are usually caused by common viruses and tend to run their course, but it is worth getting your doctor's opinion because sometimes they do require antibiotics to clear up. Make an appointment to see your doctor at your earliest convenience!