ZocdocAnswersDoes my weight problem require lap band surgery?

Question

Does my weight problem require lap band surgery?

How do you know if you are qualified for lap band surgery? I am almost 300 pounds and I don't know of any other way I can get back to a normal weight and get healthy. How can I find out if I am a candidate for lap band surgery?

Answer

Bariatric surgery (ie, weight loss surgery), such as gastric bypass or lap band surgery, is a very effective means of treating obesity and reducing the complications that are often associated with obesity, such as Type II diabetes mellitus. However, not everyone that is obese is a candidate for surgery. There is often a need to document a valid effort at weight loss through non-surgical means, usually for up to 6 months or a year. This typically includes participation in weight management programs that involve dieticians, physical fitness classes and regular check-ups with a physician. Patients that do not achieve substantial weight loss in this manner may be surgical candidates if other health problems will not put them at risk of complications with surgery. To find out more about bariatric surgery and effective strategies for losing weight, you should start by discussing your current situation with your primary care doctor. He or she can refer you to a bariatric surgery office, whose providers can answer your questions about your candidacy for surgery and what pre-operative courses/qualifications are needed before committing to a surgical route.