ZocdocAnswersWill benicar help with my high blood pressure?

Question

Will benicar help with my high blood pressure?

I have high blood pressure and now my doctor says I have to take something for it. He wants me to use benicar. Will this cure my high blood pressure? What are the side effects?

Answer

Benicar is a medicine used to treat blood pressure. It is a member of the angiotensin receptor blocker class. Unfortunately, there is rarely a cure for high blood pressure, but almost always it is treatable with medications. Benicar is a good medicine with only a few side effects that are quite rare. It can cause elevations in your blood potassium level and in rare cases a condition called angioedema. While Benicar will likely help with our blood pressure, it is rarely used as your first blood pressure medicine. The angiotensin receptor blocker class is usually only used if someone does not respond to either the medicine hydrochlorothiazide or an angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitor (such as the medicine lisinopril). Benicar may cost you more depending on your insurance because it is still under patten protection. This is not necessary unless you have tried and failed other proven drugs that are now generic and much cheaper. With that said, every physician has their on favorite medicines that they are comfortable prescribing. I suggest that you bring this issue up with your primary care physician. He or she will be able to explain the choice of benicar as your blood pressure medication and go over other options that you can try. Good luck.