search

location

insurance

close

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Why do I have lumps on my scalp?"

ZocdocAnswersWhy do I have lumps on my scalp?

Question

I have a series of little lumps on the top of my head that are kind of like little pea sized things. They don't hurt or anything but I'm freaking out anyways. What could they be? Do i have cancer in my scalp?

Answer

I would recommend that you have these lumps checked out by your primary care doctor at your earliest convenience. They will be able to help you figure out what the lumps are likely to be. It is very unlikely that these lumps represent cancer, although any lump under the skin may rarely represent cancer. Your doctor will be able to determine whether there is a suspicion for cancer and decide whether a biopsy is needed. However, it is more likely that these bumps are small cysts under the skin. Cysts are benign growths which can occur anywhere under the skin. They usually do not need any sort of treatment although occasionally, if they grow large, they may need to be removed. Another possibility might be that the lumps represent swelling and infection around various hair shafts. This condition is called folliculitis, and it is usually managed with good skin hygiene and, in some cases, an antibiotic medication. Inflammatory conditions of the scalp, such as seborrheic dermatitis and psoriasis, may also cause small lumps. these are typically treated with topical steroid medications. Start by seeing your doctor. They will help you narrow down the possibilities and determine whether or not any treatment is needed.

Need more info?

See a doctor today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.

Find doctors by city
Find doctors by specialty
Find doctors by popular insurances