ZocdocAnswersWhy do I have lumps on my scalp?

Question

Why do I have lumps on my scalp?

I have a series of little lumps on the top of my head that are kind of like little pea sized things. They don't hurt or anything but I'm freaking out anyways. What could they be? Do i have cancer in my scalp?

Answer

I would recommend that you have these lumps checked out by your primary care doctor at your earliest convenience. They will be able to help you figure out what the lumps are likely to be. It is very unlikely that these lumps represent cancer, although any lump under the skin may rarely represent cancer. Your doctor will be able to determine whether there is a suspicion for cancer and decide whether a biopsy is needed. However, it is more likely that these bumps are small cysts under the skin. Cysts are benign growths which can occur anywhere under the skin. They usually do not need any sort of treatment although occasionally, if they grow large, they may need to be removed. Another possibility might be that the lumps represent swelling and infection around various hair shafts. This condition is called folliculitis, and it is usually managed with good skin hygiene and, in some cases, an antibiotic medication. Inflammatory conditions of the scalp, such as seborrheic dermatitis and psoriasis, may also cause small lumps. these are typically treated with topical steroid medications. Start by seeing your doctor. They will help you narrow down the possibilities and determine whether or not any treatment is needed.