Would prednisone help with my asthma?

I have asthma and my friend does too. He said he takes prednisone and it really helps him. Should I take it too? Would it help me?
There are many treatments for asthma, but not all of them are the same, and not all of them should be taken all the time. Prednisone is a steroid that is used to calm down the inflammation that occurs in the lungs during and after an asthma attack. It is a very powerful medicine that works very well. However, because prednisone has undesirable side effects if taken for too long, it is only a medicine used if an asthma attack is severe and not controllable with inhaler medications. I would hope that your friend is not taking prednisone long term for his asthma. The first line therapy for asthma is an albuterol inhaler. This is also known as a rescue inhaler. This is what is taken during the first sign of an attack or during an attack to help you breath better. No matter how bad your asthma is, you should always carry an albuterol inhaler. If you are having frequent attacks, then steroids (similar to prednisone) can be used daily in the form of a steroid inhaler. Other combination medications that are found in inhalers such as Advair and Symbicort are often used in these cases. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician to discuss your asthma treatment and get on the right combination of inhalers for you.

• Dr. Angela Hon
    Dr. Angela Hon MD
    88-20 Rockaway Beach Blvd
    Rockaway Beach, NY 11693
  • Dr. Noel Smith
    Dr. Noel Smith MD
    325 Broadway
    New York, NY 10007
  • Dr. Alex Bernstein
    Dr. Alex Bernstein MD
    3039 Ocean Parkway
    Brooklyn, NY 11235