ZocdocAnswersWhat would cause a person's rectum to itch?

Question

What would cause a person's rectum to itch?

I have this embarrassing itch in my butt. It feels like it is inside my butt like inside my rectum. It isn't on the outside and there is no rash. Why would my rectum itch?

Answer

You should definitely go see a doctor about this issue, because there are a few common conditions that can cause this symptom of rectal itching, and treatments are available! Start by making an appointment to see your primary care doctor, who will be able to examine your rectum and help figure out what is causing your uncomfortable symptoms! The most common cause of rectal itching are hemorrhoids. These are dilated veins inside the rectum and anus which periodically can become inflamed or irritated, especially with bowel movements. Symptoms include very severe periodic itching and, occasionally, pain. If your doctor diagnoses hemorrhoids, there are very effective treatments, including creams that can reduce inflammation and itching. Another potential cause would be an anal 'fissure' which is a crack in the tissue of the anus, usually from chronic irritation from straining and constipation, but sometimes the result of another medical problem. In addition to soothing creams to protect the area, anal fissures often get better if the underlying problem (especially constipation) can be correction with your doctors help. Make an appointment to see your primary care doctor as soon as possible. I hope this gets sorted out and you are feeling better soon!