ZocdocAnswersDoes my son have to take Adderall?

Question

Does my son have to take Adderall?

The people at my son's school are positive that he has ADHD. I'm taking him to the doctor to get him checked out but I really don't want him to have to take a drug like adderall. Is there any way to control his ADHD if that's what he has without using drugs?

Answer

ADHD stands for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. It is a common psychiatric illness diagnosed in children under the age of 7. The ailment is unique in that the individual possesses attention deficit and hyperactivity as behavioral problems. Diagnosis is often made after symptoms of hyperactivity and inattentiveness is diagnosed. Treatment has been controversial since as early as the 1970's. It is important to take your child to a primary care provider or to an individual who specializes in pediatric or adolescent psychiatry to make a proper diagnosis. This way if the person has a diagnosis of ADHD that could be made according to medical guidelines. Classically the medicines of choice used to treat ADHD include the use of stimulants. Although it is anecdotal alternative therapies do exist out there for ADHD. These therapies may include the modification of diet; addition and removal of particular compounds in the diet, other alternative therapies include psychological feedback. The use of herbal supplements have also been evaluated but the use of these are not currently approved for children. Although there are therapies for ADHD including the use of stimulants as well as diet modifications and feedback, it is important to consult your primary care physcician prior to initiating these therapies.