ZocdocAnswersWhy do I feel bloated all of the time?

Question

Why do I feel bloated all of the time?

For around two years I have felt bloated. Sometimes it feels like my stomach is about to burst. I just don't know what to do anymore because nothing seems to change it. Do I have a disease that no one has ever heard of or is there something that causes chronic bloating?

Answer

If you have not talked to your doctor about this issue, then I strongly recommend that you make an appointment to do so as soon as possible because any chronic abdominal symptom that goes on for so long needs to be checked out to make sure it is not a serious problem. I would start by seeing your primary care doctor. The causes of abdominal bloating are numerous, so your doctor will want to ask a lot of questions and perform a thorough examination. Some of the most common causes of bloating include food intolerances, such as lactose intolerance, or allergies to certain foods, such as celiac disease which is caused by an allergy to wheat gluten. Furthermore chronic constipation is a very common source of bloating, as is trouble with the production of pancreatic digestive enzymes and with the gall bladder. In older women, bloating is rarely a symptoms of ovarian cancer, which is obviously a very serious condition that needs to be diagnosed as soon as possible. Based on what your doctor discovers at your office visit, they may want to perform additional tests, such as basic bloodwork, or an abdominal x-ray or ultrasound, to help clarify the cause of your bloating. Good luck!