ZocdocAnswersCold holding in your urine cause high blood pressure?

Question

Cold holding in your urine cause high blood pressure?

I have high blood pressure and I don't know why. Why would I have it if I eat healthy and don't drink or smoke? The only thing I can think of is that I often have to hold in my urine due to my job and my school schedule. Could holding in your urine cause high blood pressure?

Answer

To answer your question in a word -- no. In general terms, holding your urine should not cause high bloop pressure. There are many other causes of this disease of high blood pressure (known as hypertension) but your urine and bladder are unrelated. I would recommend you see your primary care doctor to have this evaluated as well as treated. If left untreated, hypertension can cause serious problems such as strokes, heart attacks and kidney problems -- so addressing it is very important. Around 50 million Americans have high blood pressure, so you are certainly not alone. There are many causes of this. Some include medicines (like birth control pills or decongestants), illicit substances (cocaine or steroids), obesity, sleep problems (specifically obstructive sleep apnea), kidney problems, hormonal problems and some rare blood vessel problems. However these actually account for only a very small percent of the 50 millions. An overwhelming majority have what we call essential hypertension -- or primary hypertension -- which means high blood pressure for no specific cause. This probably relates to your genes. Treating the hypertension is key regardless of cause. Holding urine should not cause blood pressure problems. While not advised, these is no known medical harm to holding urine (except in extreme cases where damage to the kidneys and bladder is done). I recommend discussing your blood pressure with your doctor, especially since it seems to be of concern for you. Good luck.