ZocdocAnswersDoes Metoclopramide help with heartburn only or would it help with my ulcer?

Question

Does Metoclopramide help with heartburn only or would it help with my ulcer?

I asked my doctor about taking Metoclopramide to help with my ulcer but he said it is more used for heartburn or acid reflux. Could I still take it to help my ulcer though? Should I get a second opinion?

Answer

Actually, metoclopramide is not used for stomach ulcers or for heart burn/acid reflux. It would not be helpful in either of those conditions. Metoclopramide (also known as Reglan) is a medication that is used for nausea. It can also be used when nausea is accompanied by constipation, since it enhances gut movement and can helps move things out. For your heart burn, you should first discuss with your doctor how long you have had these symptoms. This is important because if you have had these symptoms for years, then you should have an upper endoscopy (a telescope that looks in your esophagus and stomach) to look for damage. The best medication we have for heart burn is a class of medications called the proton pump inhibitors. The first and most well known of these is a medication called omeprazole. It is widely used, and will likely help your symptoms. A stomach ulcer should be evaluated more thoroughly. You should first have a test for H-pylori (a bacteria responsible for many uclers), and be treated with antibiotics and a proton pump inhibitor. You should remain on the proton pump inhibitor probably for years. Because you have multiple gastrointestinal issues, I suggest that you schedule an appointment with a gastroenterologist for further evaluation. He or she will know what to do to figure out what issues you have and prescribe the right medication.