Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Do I have a serious heart problem?"

ZocdocAnswersDo I have a serious heart problem?


I've had chest pains on and off for a long time, but now I feel like my heart rate is changing and I also feel nauseous for no reason. I'm only 21 years old and I don't understand what is going on. Could it be that I have a serious heart problem?


Chest pain is a symptom that always gets physician's attention. This is because chest pains can be associated with blockages in the coronary arteries. However, in someone your age, this type of disease is quite uncommon. Thus, your chest pain is most likely caused by something else. Chest pains can be cause by problems with your heart, the outer lining of your lungs, and even in your chest wall and ribs. Your heart rate changing is something that you should have addressed. If you feel that your heart is racing, then it is possible that you have developed a heart arrhythmia that needs addressed. These problems can also cause other symptoms such as nausea. Another diagnosis that is very common and can cause chest pains, heart rate racing, and nausea is panic attacks. This is something that your doctor can look into. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can take a more detailed history of your symptoms and perform a thorough physical exam. Additional testing such as an electrocardiogram or a chest x-ray may be necessary. If your doctor is concerned about your heart, he or she may have you undergo a stress test.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.