Is taking Wellbutrin a safe way to quit smoking?

I know it isn't for quitting smoking, but I heard that Wellbutrin helps people quit. Is it a safe way to stop smoking? I'm tired of the fatigue and chest pain I have from smoking and want to stop.
First of all, congratulations on making the decision to quit smoking. As you know smoking is really bad for your health, and quitting smoking is one of the most important positive health decisions you can ever make! I highly recommend that you start by making an appointment with your primary care doctor to discuss this issue. Primary care doctors are very skilled in helping patients quit smoking, and your doctor will have a lot of great advice for you. Wellbutrin (buproprion) is an antidepressant medications that has now been used for a number of years in smoking cessation. Typically, one takes the medication for a few weeks prior to an anticipated quit date; once your do quit, continuing to take the buproprion will reduce your cravings and increase your chances of successfully quitting. In addition to buproprion, there are several other potential options for you that your doctor can discuss. These include a few other oral medications that are also used as alternatives to buproprion. There is also nicotine replacement therapy, through patches, gum, and other delivery methods. In fact, taking a medication like buproprion together with nicotine replacement therapy while trying to quit might be your best option, but talk to your doctor to make sure!