ZocdocAnswersWhy do I keep breaking out on my forehead?

Question

Why do I keep breaking out on my forehead?

I have a lot of little red bumps and white spots on my forehead. No trouble with the skin on the rest of my face though. What is making my forehead break out like this? Should I change my soap? Shampoo?

Answer

If this has been a persistent problem for you, then I would recommend that you get some advice from a doctor, either your primary care doctor or a dermatologist. The combination of red bumps and white spots on the forehead is most likely either acne or a contact dermatitis, although it could also be a flare of seborrheic dermatitis. If this acne, you may have to work on your skin care regimen to come up with something that helps exfoliate and clean out the pores. Your doctor can give you some advice on this, as well as determine if you need addition medication, such as prescription skin creams, to help clear up the acne. On the other hand, contact dermatitis, which is caused by irritation of the skin from a chemical contact, such as a new soap or shampoo, is also a possibility, especially if you have recently changed brands on one of these products. Contact dermatitis is typically treated with topical steroid creams after your doctor confirms the diagnosis, as well as identifying and discontinuing the offending agent. Seborrheic dermatitis is similar in appearance to contact dermatitis but tends to be limited to the area right up under the hairline. It is treated similarly in most simple cases, with topical steroid creams. See your doctor as soon as you can!