ZocdocAnswersIf I'm tired all the time does it mean that I have dysautonomia?

Question

If I'm tired all the time does it mean that I have dysautonomia?

I heard that a lot of doctors don't know how to diagnose dysautonomia. But I am tired a lot and sometimes I feel like I'm just going to keel over and I think it is from dysautonomia. Am I right?

Answer

If you are experiencing significant fatigue or other similar symptoms, and if this has been going on for a while, then you really need to get in to see a doctor as soon as possible for a thorough examination and evaluation. I would suggest starting with a visit to your primary care doctor. Dysautonomia is a condition in which the autonomic nervous system, which controls many of the body's basic automatic functions, does not work properly. A very typical symptom would be sudden drops in the blood pressure, for example when moving from sitting to standing. This may be accompanied by swings in the heart rate and dizziness or fainting, as well as other symptoms. Although dysautonomia is definitely on the list of potential causes of some of the symptoms you are describing, it is by no means at the top of the list. There are many other, much more common, medical conditions that would need to be ruled out first, including dehydration, diabetes, depression, and trouble with the thyroid gland. Your doctor will be able to begin investigating the source of your fatigue. They will probably want to start with some basic bloodwork to rule out the most common causes of fatigue, so make an appointment as soon as you can.