ZocdocAnswersCan diabetes be deadly?

Question

Can diabetes be deadly?

I'm overweight and afraid of diabetes. Is it deadly? What are the signs that I might have it other than being overweight?

Answer

Diabetes is a disease which makes the body unable to control blood sugar levels. The high blood sugars of diabetes can be deadly in many different ways. First, people that allow their blood sugars to get too high can suffer from a diabetic coma. This usually occurs when someone that has diabetes doesn't take their medications. Diabetes is associated with many other diseases that can be deadly. People with diabetes are much more likely to have heart attacks than those without diabetes. The same is true for strokes. Finally, people with diabetes are more likely to have kidney disease. In fact, the most common cause of kidney failure requiring permanent dialysis is diabetes. There are two things you can do to help prevent these from happening. First, you should focus on losing weight. If you lose weight, you will reduce your chances of getting diabetes. In addition, exercise (whether you lose weight or not) can really help your metabolism. Finally, you should get screened for diabetes yearly. Diabetes can often be present without any symptoms. The best physician for you to see about this problem is your primary care physician. He or she can perform your yearly test and council you on how to avoid getting diabetes.