ZocdocAnswersWould Oxaprozin help my joint pain?

Question

Would Oxaprozin help my joint pain?

I have joint pain in both of my knees that is likely from years of playing basketball. An older coworker said that she takes Oxaprozin for her arthritis and it really helps. Would this help my joint pain even if I don't have arthritis? How do I get some?

Answer

I would suggest that you make an appointment to see your primary care doctor about this issue. This is because, whenever you are dealing with joint pain that is chronic, it is important to formally establish the cause of the pain prior to initiating treatment. Although you are probably correct that the source of your pain is 'wear and tear' arthritis (also known as osteoarthritis), possibly related to your prior years playing basketball, there are other types of arthritis, such as rheumatoid arthritis. Additionally, there are other causes of knee pain other than arthritis, including damages to the ligaments in the knee. The treatments for all of these conditions are different from each other. If your doctor does end up diagnosing you with osteoarthritis, then Oxaprozin would be a potentially useful medication to control your pain. Oxaprozin belongs to a large class of medications called the non steroidal anti inflammatory medications (NSAIDs), which are all commonly used in treating osteoarthritis. These medications are associated with a number of side effects, however, including stomach upset. Based on how severe your pain is, your doctor can help you choose which of the NSAID medications is best for your particular situation. Good luck!