ZocdocAnswersWould surgery help treat my hyperhidrosis.

Question

Would surgery help treat my hyperhidrosis.

I always have sweaty and wet palms and the topical treatments don't help it. I've heard that some people have had surgery to help with their hyperhidrosis but what do you have surgery on? Is it a good way to treat my hyperhidrosis?

Answer

Hyperhidrosis is a condition characterized by excess sweating. It can be a very distressing condition, especially if the sweating occurs on the palms. There are surgical options available, but these should only be considered when all other options have failed. The first thing to try is topical over the counter antiperspirant. These can help, but are usually only a cure in very mild hyperhidrosis. It sounds like you have not responded to the topical treatment. Medications that block the release of acetylcholine such as Bo-Tox injections or medications that block the acetylcholine receptor are also useful. Both of these can have side effects, but you may respond to these medications at very low doses. Surgical options include a procedure called sweat gland removal. This is something that is not done routinely and should be considered as one of the last options. Another surgical procedure that is done is called a sympathectomy. This is where a surgeon cuts the nerves that cause the sweat glands to release sweat. Both of these procedures will likely have side effects. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. You can describe your symptoms to him or her and the two of you can discuss the available treatment options. Good luck.