ZocdocAnswersWhy is my facial hair causing a red sore?

Question

Why is my facial hair causing a red sore?

I have a red sore on my chin whenever I grow a beard. Never there when I am clean shaven. Why does this happen? Should I just not grow a beard? I want one though and I don't know why this is happening?

Answer

You should go see your primary care doctor about this issue. Alternatively, if you have a dermatologist, they would be able to help figure out what is going on, as there are several potential causes. One potential cause would be ingrown hairs, which occur when the hair shafts double back on themselves and grow back into the hair follicles. The result are small red bumps which can be painful. Generally ingrown hairs can be treated with exfoliation and good skin hygiene, but some people experience a lot of them and may not be able to grow a beard. Another potential cause would be seborrheic dermatitis, which is a condition causing inflammation, red patches, and itching of the skin. Typically, if diagnosed with seborrheic dermatitis, this can be easily treated with topical steroid or anti fungal medications or with 'dandruff' shampoos, based on the advice your doctor gives you. Make an appointment to see your doctor at your earliest convenience. They can look at the involved skin areas and give you a diagnosis, as well as recommend the appropriate treatment, which will hopefully allow you to continue growing a beard if you wish. Good luck, and I hope this problem clears up soon!