ZocdocAnswersIs there a cure for gout?

Question

Is there a cure for gout?

I have it and I have to take medicine for it but I want a cure. Is there any cure for gout?

Answer

Unfortunately, gout is a disease that once diagnosed is typically treated rather than cured. It sounds like you may be on a maintenance medication to control a gout flare. This is often how gout is managed. Hopefully you will never have another flare like the one that caused you to be diagnosed with gout. As you know, gout flares can be extremely painful and typically involve joints like the big toe or even knee. Depending upon how much inflammation is involved, it can take several days for the flare to calm down. Gout is caused by precipitation of uric acid crystals in a joint space, so the goal of maintenance gout medications is to help your body excrete enough uric acid so that you don't develop crystal build-up. Eating certain kinds of foods--including caviar--have been associated with bringing on gout flares and we also know that some people naturally excrete more uric acid through their kidneys than other people. However, we don't really know why some people get gout and others don't. If you have questions about your own health history or gout medications, the best thing to do is see your primary care physician to discuss further. He or she can go over your medications to help determine what you will need to take and for how long to prevent any further gout flares. Sometimes people with severe gout can also be referred to a rheumatologist for further management.