ZocdocAnswersCould I have chicken pox?

Question

Could I have chicken pox?

I have some spots on the inside of my mouth and my throat feels like it is kind of swollen and closing up. I've also noticed some red blotches on other parts of my body? Is this the chicken pox? I've never had it and I'm 29 years old.

Answer

These symptoms sound like something you should have your primary care doctor take a look at. They will be able to help you figure out what is going on and also decide if you need any particular treatment. Chicken pox is an infection caused by the varicella virus. It used to be very common in the United States, but is less so now since the introduction of a vaccine against the virus in 1995. Symptoms of chicken pox include fever, headache and feeling run down, together with the appearance of bright red spots that spread all over the body and that eventually develop a yellowish crust on top of them. The symptoms you are experiencing could be consistent with chicken pox, but there are many other conditions that you could have as well (such as a regular throat infection or an allergy reaction), and it seems unlikely unless you have recently been exposed to someone with the condition. In particular, it would be important to know if you were vaccinated against chickenpox after the vaccine came out, which would make the chances very low indeed. Make sure that you see your doctor right away. In the meantime, if you have any trouble breathing or swelling of your face or tongue, go to an emergency room rather than waiting to see your doctor.