Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"How do you make gingivitis go away?"

ZocdocAnswersHow do you make gingivitis go away?


Do I have to see a dentist? I think I have gingivitis and I want it to go away but I don't have dental insurance. Can my family doctor help me with my gingivitis?


I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your teeth and gums. If you do not have dental insurance, then going to see your family doctor would be a good place to start. They can at least examine your mouth and help you determine if you have gingivitis, which is an inflammation of the gums caused usually by bacteria and debris building up in the space between the teeth and the gums. Also, if the case is severe, they may be able to give you some antibiotics to help calm down the inflammation. However, after this, if the diagnosis is confirmed, you will have to get in to see a dentist. This is because the definitive treatment for gingivitis requires cleaning out the space between the teeth and the gums, which is not something that your primary care doctor will be trained to do; only dentists perform this procedure. Not delaying is important, because if gingivitis is left untreated for a long period of time, it can lead to serious damage to the teeth and require even more invasive and expensive treatments than just a simple cleaning. Get in to see your doctor today, and also work on getting an appointment with a dentist.

Need more info?

See a dentist today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.