ZocdocAnswersHow do you find out what the normal weight for your height is?

Question

How do you find out what the normal weight for your height is?

How do I know if I am underweight? How do you figure out what the normal weight is for your height? I don't want to damage my body because I am underweight.

Answer

There are multiple different classifications for weight. The most common classification is the BMI, or Body Mass Index. This is used to classify people into categories of underweight, healthy weight, overweight, obese and morbidly obese. This measurement is based on weight and height. The calculation is as follows: BMI = weight/(height squared) Weight is in kg and height is in meters. BMI values are classified as follows: BMI < 18.5 --> underweight BMI = 18.5-24.9 --> normal weight BMI = 25-29.9 --> overweight BMI = 30+ -->Obese. This classification sysem is not perfect as it does not account for body build, bone structure, muscle content. It simply looks at weight and height. Another measurement that one can go by is the Ideal Body weight. The calculation is slightly different for men and women. Ideal Body Weight for men (in kg) = 51.65 + (1.85 x (height-60)) Ideal Body Weight for women (in kg) = 48.67 + (1.65 x (height-60)) The height should be in inches. Regardless of what system you use, it is important to have a healthy and balanced diet to maintain your goal weight. I recommend consulting with a nutritionist, along with your primary care physician, for help achieving your goal safely.