ZocdocAnswersWill eating yogurt stop me from getting yeast infections?

Question

Will eating yogurt stop me from getting yeast infections?

I had two yeast infections this year and someone told me to start eating yogurt. Will this stop me from getting yeast infections? How else can you prevent them?

Answer

Yeast infections are a very common problem from time to time for even otherwise totally healthy women. Basically, a yeast infection occurs when yeast, which normally live in the vagina in small numbers, multiply out of control. This is often triggered by taking antibiotics (which kill off the vaginal bacteria which normally keep the yeast in check), but it can also occur for other reasons, such as after sexual intercourse or because of use of douching products (which, like antibiotics, kill off vaginal bacteria). It is commonly believed that eating yogurt or taking lactobacillus supplements (the bacteria in yogurt) can prevent vaginal yeast infections. However, the scientific data to support this is not very strong and, pending more detailed study, it would be hasty to recommend yogurt as an effective therapy. On the other hand, yeast infections are easy to treat with topical or oral anti fungal medications, which can be prescribed by your primary care doctor or OB GYN doctor. In cases of recurrent fungal infections, sometimes anti fungal medications can be used to prevent infections - for example, if you are going to take antibiotics, a dose or two of anti fungal medications might be used to prevent a yeast infection. This is something you can talk to your primary care doctor or OB GYN about at your next visit.