ZocdocAnswersDos MRSA go away eventually?

Question

Dos MRSA go away eventually?

There is a chance I might have been in contact with MRSA so I am going to the doctor next week to be tested. If I do have it does it mean that I will always have it? How long are you infected with MRSA once you have it?

Answer

You should certainly discuss this issue with your doctor. Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) infections are bacterial. Usually, staphylococci bacteria don't cause any harm. However, if they get inside the body they can cause an infection. It is transmitted from person to person by direct contact with the skin, clothing, or area (i.e., sink, bench, bed and utensil) that had recent physical contact with a MRSA-infected person or a location where medical devices are placed (catheters, IV lines, or other devices). Most often, MRSA causes infections on the skin. However, it is also possible to have MRSA in other areas of the body, such as blood, lungs, joints, eyes, and urine. These types of infections are less common but can be more serious. MRSA has presenting symptoms usually as a boil, a sore, or an infected cut that is red, swollen, or pus-filled. MRSA is classified as a "super bug" because it is resistant to many antibiotics so it can be difficult to treat. If your doctor gives you antibiotics, you need to take them exactly as prescribed and do not stop early, even if you feel better or if your infection looks healed. Many people with active infections are treated effectively, and they no longer have MRSA. However, sometimes MRSA goes away after treatment and comes back several times. I would suggest a thorough discussion with your primary care physician when you meet.