ZocdocAnswersCan your diet affect your hair growth?

Question

Can your diet affect your hair growth?

How can I make my hair grow faster. I cut it all off recently and it seems to be growing back very slowly. Is there something I can eat that will make my hair grow faster? Is something wrong with my scalp maybe?

Answer

The growth of hair from the hair follicles in the scalp is something that is highly determined by personal genetic factors. In other words, there are people who genetically are predisposed to grow hair more quickly than others, whereas other people's hair grows slowly. This does not generally indicate a medical problem. In fact, unfortunately, there is basically nothing you can do to 'speed up' the growth of your hair in most cases. In particular, there are no specific foods which can speed up hair growth. Of course, eating a healthy diet and taking general good care of your health is an important step to promote hair and skin health. Therefore, if you haven't been to see your primary care doctor in a while for your annual physical examination, this might be something you could do. They will be able to make sure there are no medical conditions going on, such as a problem with the thyroid glancing, which might be disrupting hair growth - although this seems pretty unlikely in the absence of any other symptoms. Please talk to your primary care doctor for more information!