ZocdocAnswersHow do you remove an ulcer from your gums?

Question

How do you remove an ulcer from your gums?

Had an ulcer on my gums for about 4 days. I put some stuff on it that numbed the pain but the pain comes back really fast. How do I cure the ulcer/make it go away permanently?

Answer

I am sorry to hear that you are having such discomfort from this oral ulcer. I would suggest that you go see your primary care doctor for help with this. I say this because there are at least two primary causes of oral ulcers like the one you describe, and the treatments are different. Your doctor will help figure out with condition you have and prescribe the appropriate treatment. First, painful oral ulcers may represent aphthous ulcers, also known as canker sores. These are not an infection - in fact we are not entirely sure what causes them to happen. However we do know that they tend to occur in times of stress. They can be treated by topical numbing medications which your doctor can give you; severe cases may require steroid medications as well. Second, painful oral ulcers may be from a viral infection, most commonly herpes, although other viruses can cause this as well. In addition to symptomatic relief from topical medications, it is often important to take an anti viral medication as well, which will speed healing of the ulcers. Start by making an appointment with your primary care doctor as soon as you can. I hope you are feeling better soon!