ZocdocAnswersHow long should I take Fulconazole if I have a fungal infection?

Question

How long should I take Fulconazole if I have a fungal infection?

I've been taking fulconazole for a fungal infection but it looks like the infection has cleared up. How much longer should I keep taking the fulconazole?

Answer

This is a difficult question to answer without knowing more about the specific fungal infection that you have been dealing with. There are some simple fungal infections, such as yeast infections, and often these will clear up with just a dose or two of fluconazole. On the other hand, there are other complicated infections of the skin or internal organs that require a long period of treatment with the fluconazole, with continuation of the medication for a while even after all the symptoms of the infection have cleared up (to prevent the infection from coming back). Therefore, really the only person who can answer this question for you is the doctor who prescribed the fluconazole for you in the first place. They are the only person who knows all of the specifics of your particular case and can comment on precisely how long the fluconazole should be taken for. I suggest that you set up a visit with this doctor to discuss the issue in person. They will be able to examine you to look for evidence that the infection has indeed cleared up, and they will be able to give you advice on how long you have to keep taking the medication.