Can smoking cigarettes cause insomnia?

I haven't been able to sleep properly for around a month. The only thing I think could be causing is it is that I am a cigarette smoker. Does smoking have anything to do with insomnia?
Tobacco of any type contains many chemicals. One of them is the drug nicotine, which is the part of tobacco that makes it addictive, and gives smoking cigarettes a pleasurable feeling. Nicotine is a stimulant as well that increases your heart rate, increases your blood pressure, and makes you more alert and awake. Thus, if you are smoking near the time you are going to bed, then you should expect that it will be harder for you to fall asleep. However, nicotine is a fairly short lived drug that only hangs out in the blood stream for short while. Thus, it may make it harder for you to get to sleep, but shouldn't wake you up that much when you are asleep. There are many other causes of insomnia that you should consider. One of the most common causes of insomnia is depression and other mood disorders. This is something that you should consider if you think that have depressed lately. In the end, whatever the cause of your insomnia, you should work hard at quitting smoking. Both of these problems can be handled by your primary care physician. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with him or her soon. Your doctor should be able to determine what's going on. Good luck.

• Dr. Noel Smith
    Dr. Noel Smith MD
    325 Broadway
    New York, NY 10007
  • Dr. Gurinder Brar
    Dr. Gurinder Brar MD
    2607 Windguard Circle
    Wesley Chapel, FL 33544
  • Dr. Rekha Singh
    Dr. Rekha Singh MD
    1300 Peachtree Industrial Blvd
    Suwanee, GA 30024