ZocdocAnswersAny way to get rid of the dead skin inside and outside of my ears?

Question

Any way to get rid of the dead skin inside and outside of my ears?

On the inside and even on the outer part of my ears I have a lot of dead skin. I don't know why I keep getting this because I take a lot of showers and keep myself very clean. What could be causing all of this dead skin?

Answer

By 'dead skin' I assume you mean that you are experiencing flaking of the skin or that you have patches of thick dry skin. Since this has been going on for a while, you might want to get advice from either your primary care doctor or a dermatologist on what to do next. I think one possibility here is that you are simply experiencing severe skin dryness. This is a common problem, and it might be made worse by the fact that you are taking lots of showers. The hot water and soap could be stripping your skin of its essential protective oils and actually making the problem worse. If your doctor feels like this is what is going on, then you may need to back off on the amount of showering you are doing and also use a good skin moisturizer. Alternatively, if you have areas of redness and itching along with the flaking, this might be eczema or seborrheic dermatitis, two conditions which will also be made worse by excessive showering. Both of these conditions can be treated with topical steroid creams, if your doctor confirms the diagnosis. Get in to see your doctor at your earliest convenience!