ZocdocAnswersHow can I cure tendonitis in my elbow?

Question

How can I cure tendonitis in my elbow?

I have chronic tendonitis in my elbow. Nothing I do seems to make it better. How do you cure chronic tendonitis?

Answer

Sorry to hear that your elbow is giving you so much trouble. The first step in getting better is seeing a doctor about this issue, especially if you have not done so already. You could start with your primary care doctor. Alternatively, if the tendonitis is primarily related to sports activity, you might want to see a sports medicine specialist. Finally, orthopedic doctors are often involved in more advanced and stubborn cases of tendonitis. Since tendonitis is primarily caused by an overuse injury (repetitive motions, heavy lifting, etc) to the involved tendon, rest is an important part of recovering. Inflammation associated with the overuse injury can often be relieved by taking anti inflammatory medications as directed by your doctor. Your doctor may also recommend a course of physical therapy to improve your mobility and decrease pain through stretching exercises. In more advanced cases of tendonitis, your sports medicine or primary care doctor may refer you to an orthopedic doctor for more invasive treatment, which might include injections of steroid medications into areas of inflammation to help further reduce pain. Start by setting up a visit with your doctor at your earliest convenience. I hope you are feeling better soon!