ZocdocAnswersHow do you get rid of blackheads?

Question

How do you get rid of blackheads?

I have blackheads on my face. They are on my chin and on my nose too. They have been there for several years. How do I make them go away? They are embarrassing.

Answer

I am sorry to hear that your having such problems with your skin. As your probably know, blackheads are a form of acne; they form when the pores in the skin become clogged over with dead skin and other debris. There are great treatments available for blackheads. Therefore, if you have not talked to your primary care doctor or dermatologist about this issue in a while, it would be a good idea to set up a visit so you can get some help. Most mild cases of blackheads can be treated with just regular facial cleansing and exfoliation which works by keeping the pores unclogged. It is also helpful to avoid certain kinds of makeup,which can clog the pores. If these strategies do not work, then usually your doctor will next suggest a comedonolytic, which are one of several chemicals which work by stripped the debris off the surface of the skin, keeping the pores clear. The most common comedonolytics are salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide, which are both found in multiple acne preparations at your local drug store. Finally, if the comedonolytic does not work, then there are additional, stronger prescription creams and ointments which your doctor can suggest to you.