Is this a new symptom of Hashimoto's disease?

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's disease about six months ago. Now I am having trouble reading and writing. When I write I have a ton of mistakes that I would have never made before. Is this a new symptom of my Hashimoto's or is it caused by something else?
Hashimoto's disease is an autoimmune condition that affects the thyroid gland. Often patients with Hashimoto's go through a phase in which the thyroid gland is overactive due to an initial release of thyroid hormone in a period of acute inflammation. Over time, however, as the thyroid gland is slowly destroyed by the body's immune cells, the thyroid gland becomes underactive. People with underactive thyroid gland (hypothyroidism) can experience a range of symptoms, including weight gain, constipation, cold intolerance, muscle weakness/cramping and an irregular menstrual cycle. Another complication of hypothyroidism is fatigue, both mental and physical. Patients may notice that they are not thinking as clearly as they did prior to developing thyroid dysfunction. Theoretically, this could manifest as new difficulty with reading and writing as your ability to concentrate and focus is diminished. However, thyroid disease is not the only cause of these symptoms, and depression should also be considered as a possible culprit if your thyroid levels are found to be normal. Since the cause of your symptoms is unclear, it is advisable that you seek out the help of your primary care physician. A simple blood test can help determine if your thyroid gland is acting appropriately.

• Dr. Gladys Martinez
    Dr. Gladys Martinez DO
    1001 NW 13th Street
    Boca Raton, FL 33486
  • Dr. Paul Leitner
    Dr. Paul Leitner MD
    8540 South Sepulveda Blvd
    Los Angeles, CA 90045
  • Dr. Brian Price
    Dr. Brian Price MD
    3607 Manor Rd
    Austin, TX 78723