ZocdocAnswersWhy do I have soreness around my diaphragm?

Question

Why do I have soreness around my diaphragm?

I have a lot of soreness around my diaphragm that just won't go away. It almost feels like I have been having the hiccups for hours. What could cause this?

Answer

I am not sure exactly what you mean by soreness around your diaphragm, as the diaphragm is a muscle inside your body that is involved in breathing. I think you probably mean either that you have pain in your chest when you breath in deeply or that you have pain in your abdominal muscles. However, the causes of these two different types of pain are quite a bit different, so I suggest that you get some help from your primary care doctor figuring things out. If you have pain in the chest with breathing, most of the time this is caused by inflammation of the joints of the ribs or by a muscle strain of the muscles between the ribs. However, there are other more serious causes which need to be ruled out, including a lung infection or a blood clot in the lungs. Make sure to mention to your doctor if you have cough, shortness of breath, fever, or other similar concerning symptoms. Similarly, pain in the abdominal wall can also be caused by soreness or strain of the muscles in that location. However, there is a separate set of serious conditions associated with abdominal pain, such as problems with the pancreas or gall bladder, which your doctor will need to rule out. Please speak with him or her soon!